Monday, January 12, 2009

Student-Nursin' Monday!

Hey! We saw Changeling with Angelina Jolie at the dollar last Saturday. Didja know that it was written by J. Michael Straczynski, writer of Amazing Spider-Man and Supreme Power? It was great stuff, but not for the young 'uns or the faint of heart (or people who like to think that being a police officer means you are somehow divinely incapable of moral fumbles).

You know who else wrote something you wouldn't think? Stan "The Man" Lee wrote a lot of romance comics in his day, none more awesome than Linda Carter, Student Nurse:


I have reached a point in life where I get as much joy from giving my comics to my favorite kids as I did collecting them. I love finding stuff I can give to Nephew Sam, Nieces Katie and Annie, and Childhood Pal Scotty's kids so that they can enjoy the old school stuff I read at their respective ages.

But no one gets my copy of Linda Carter, Student Nurse #6. I love them all too much to display such obvious favoritism. And how do I choose who should receive this sacred tome? I can't. I simply can't. They'll have to fight it out in probate court upon my passing, which should be any day now.

As you can tell by the cover, never was a comic character hit on more than Linda Carter (Student Nurse). Every male patient had some kind of nurse fantasy they were hoping Linda might oblige. But, of course, she never responded. She only had eyes for this guy:


That, my friends, is one of the wittiest things Stan Lee wrote. Ever.

Did I mention that every male character seemed to have the hots for Linda?


Easy on the family hug there, Uncle Morgan. I don't know what your "surprise" is, but I'm pretty sure it's a felony to even show it to her.

And, as you might expect, the ads were pretty dang cool as well:


Just hold that pose for another six hours, Sparky! I'll get you sketched in no time!


If this watch even sort of worked, this is the coolest invention ever. Why don't I have one? Where can I get one? Did anyone ever see one of these things in person, and if so, may I ask again why I don't have one?

And of course, every six year-old girl bought luggage through comic book ads:


I'm sure the luggage went flying out of the warehouse with orders placed as a result of the ads in Linda Carter: Student Nurse. The concept of "target groups" in marketing apparently had not yet been invented.

Someday, I will have a complete collection of Linda Carter: Student Nurse. And when I do, I'm giving it to the kid who watches out for me in my golden years.

See you tomorrow!

5 comments:

De said...

This post begs the obvious question: What can we do to get a Linda Carter: Student Nurse movie starring Lynda Carter?

Anonymous said...

Dude JMS is writing movies? Nice! That makes me want to see it now.

Adam Barnett said...

The only gripe I have about it, Chris C, is my typical gripe of movies "based on a true story".... there is only a passing element of actual facts to be found. I was disappointed to learn that most of what was presented in the film was fiction, when the story itself (at least based on what I learned of it) was fascinating.

SallyP said...

Oh heck, Stan Lee wrote just about everything there for a while, bless his aging hipster heart.

But yeah, that actually WAS pretty witty.

Anonymous said...

She seems excessively happy to see Uncle Morgan in that second panel. Like, ventriloquist's dummy happy.

No wonder everyone wanted her.