Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Gorillas and Rural Livin' Tuesday!

Know why I really enjoy Golden Age comics? Because they're awesome:


Tell me you wouldn't buy that comic. You totally would. There is more going on in that cover than in the entire run of Checkmate. It rocks.

My only concern is that Bucky appears to be shooting at the guys in the yellow shirts while Captain America, Namor and the Torches are all fighting the soldiers. Do you think Bucky was going all Full Metal Jacket or something? Maybe he wasn't paying attention during the mission briefing. Kids have no attention span.
____________________________________

Something you can't get enough of? Super heroes fighting gorillas:


That's right. You're welcome.
____________________________________


Is anyone else hearing the "Dueling Banjos" tune from Deliverance right now? You sneak around the rear, I'll make a frontal attack, and we'll make him squeal like a pig, boy! Ska-wheeeeeel!
___________________________________


Writers would often forget that the Torch was an android. I'm not sure he breathes, much less can smell. Try to ignore that.
____________________________________


Oh, that is an unfortunate camera angle. Someone needs to move. No, seriously. Someone. Needs. To. Move.

See you tomorrow!

8 comments:

Sea-of-Green said...

Poor ol' Toro. You know, MOST kid sidekicks at least got to wear clothing instead of running around in just BVDs!

Darius Whiteplume said...

So, that's why he did get the whole "what" out.

"Show us on the doll where the pirate touched you."

Tracer Bullet said...

If that cover with the gorillas is any indication, Bucky's bones are made of the same spongy substance as most of the women on the covers of today's comics.

SallyP said...

Oh..My! I believe that words actually fail me.

De said...

Looks like Cap is guilty of friendly fire against the Torch. Get it? Fire?

Fine. I'll leave the comedy to the professionals ;-)

De said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
googum said...

When I was pretty little, I remember reading an issue of the Invaders in a drugstore. The Nazis had captured the Invaders, as they do, and were parading around with the Human Torch in a big vacuum tube, so he couldn't catch fire. It drove me crazy, since I couldn't figure out how the Torch could survive without air. Years later, duh, 'cause he's a robot. Frickin' comics, I swear...

Darius Whiteplume said...

@googum - I read something once that was probably from one of the guys working on that comic. Something to the effect of "never assume your reader knows about your character."

Yet another reason I love super heroes but hate reading comics :-)