Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Fourth Anniversary Tuesday!

It's a calculated risk when you write a blog poking fun at an industry of which you'd like to be a part, especially when so many people show up to watch you poke fun at an industry of which you'd like to be a part.  After a while, you find yourself feeling thusly:


But you know what?  We've been down this road for four years now.  It's not as long as some other blogs still going, and longer than many blogs have made it.  I don't know at what point you mark a blog as a success, but we're just shy of 75,000 visits annually, so I don't think it's a failure by any stretch of the imagination.  I'm not saying it was the most productive use of our time, but I'd argue that it hasn't been a failure, either.

It's been a great run.  Some days, I've felt more like posting than others, but it's been a fun way to mark time and keep a journal of sorts without being excessively self-indulgent.  I've cheesed off some folks, which is something you're bound to do when writing a blog like this one.  I suppose someone can be funny and not risk offending anyone, but that's not how my own particular brand of humor works.  And again, more people show up to my little Comic Book Funhouse than I would have ever hoped, so something is working for folks somewhere.

But of course, no attempt at entertainment works without an audience.  Your support and encouragement have made this page what it is.  At least, that's what I'll say in court.

So, having spent as much time together as one would take completing the requirements for an undergraduate degree, what can we take away from all this?  I give you Detective Comics #370:


I have heard of the "Three-Six-Nine" ULTIMATE DISGRACE, and I understand it was quite the insult.  At least Bruce Wayne was able to put it behind him and move on into adulthood and....


.... oh.  Never mind.  I guess we never quite let go of those childhood demons, do we?

As a special thanks, allow me to give you a sneak peak at the cover art for the upcoming Hero Action Persons: The Social (Networking Site) War Saga Graphic Novel, drawn with a deft hand by Gabe Ostley!:


Yes, I thought it would be funny to spoof the iconic Super Friends image, and Gabe did yet another great job.  We're plugging away at finishing this (rather large) project so we can make it available to you, but I have certainly learned that making a comic is a big undertaking.  But it'll be worth it, my lovelies!  On that, you can rely!

Thanks for four great years!  The next great year starts tomorrow!

13 comments:

jacob nameri said...

happy blogeversary adam this blog's been cheering me up these past few days while i'm sick

Britt Reid said...

Happy Anniversary!
My mornings would be much duller without my Mon-Fri dose of CMNS! ;-)

(And good luck with HAP!)

Unca Jeffy said...

Congrats Adam. Easily the funniest blog out there and one I look forward to every day.

I look forward to the next four!

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

Happy anniversary, Adam. I don't comment nearly enough, but I've been following you since the spring. Not the blog, I've been following YOU, personally.

Justin Garrett Blum said...

Wow--four years! Congratulations. I think I've been reading for at least two, though maybe three.

With regard to this post, I have to admit...I'm enough of a fanboy that it kind of pisses me off to see little Bruce Wayne crying just because some douche three-six-nined him. That looks like little more than birthday punches, or the two for flinching that were so popular in my family growing up.

MarvelX42 said...

Nothing about the "I can lick you...any old time!" comment. Are you losing your touch? It didn't even make the "out of context dialogue"

SallyP said...

Well, you gave me quite a start there, I thought for a minute that you were WALKING AWAY FROM ALL OF THIS!!

Er...ahem. I'll calm down now and wish you a happy anniversary.

Adam Barnett said...

What? Walk away from the fame? The obscene income? The love and respect I get from comic industry insiders? As if I could....

Anonymous said...

Wait, our blogs have the same anniversary? (I'm doing my post tomorrow because events forced it, but mine turned two years old today.) Well, happy shared anniversary then. :D

Will said...

MENTALLY DISTURBED!

When you start a paragraph with "It's been a great run" it creates the impression that the run is over! I, too, almost panicked when I read that. I've been with you since nigh the beginning! Thank goodness I read the rest of the post.

Happy anniversary!

--Allergy

Zocktastic said...

Yeah, I too kinda sorta almost freaked. But I made sure to read the whole post for definite signs of a farewell tour before I officially panicked, at least. Clear heads, prevailed! Kinda sorta...

Anyway, congratulations, Adam! I've also been following CMNS for a couple years now, and I'm quite glad I found your little dominion in the vast, black void of the internet. So thanks for all the laughs, and mazeltov! (Hope I didn't spell that wrong...)

D.B. Echo said...

Happy belated blogiversary!

Joseph said...

Congrats! Keep up the fantastic work - you're the funniest (and consistently funniest) comic blog out there!