Thursday, March 10, 2011

I Brought You a Present - A Bag of Garbage! Thursday!

In honor of yesterday's disturbing title, let's check out another one from Lois Lane #2:


I don't know what's going on in Superman's forbidden room, but I make it a personal policy to stay out of the home of anyone who has a "forbidden room."  I think you should do that as well.

Here's a Disappointing Moment in Comics (tm!):


The moment I realized that, despite the cover, Lady Cop would not be appearing in this issue of Detective Comics.

Seriously, folks, it isn't nice to tease.

Since I got a little flak about yesterday's post with Peg the Shrew and Unappreciated Dream Date Elmer, I thought I'd present the alternative:

Jed the Jitterbug....


And Jed had a date in nearly every strip.  He did much better with the ladies than Elmer.  This, apparently, is the boy who high school girls want.  Not a boy who will take care of you when you're sick... a boy who will hand you a bag of garbage before a date. 

Yael, you may fire when ready.

See you tomorrow!


6 comments:

Dave said...

Wasn't it Jerry the Jitterbug?

Yael said...

Ehhh, I get tired of arguing too quickly. I didn't even rebut your rebuttal, yesterday. Although I suppose maybe I should. But for here, I would just like to ask if this comic was, perchance, written by a woman - because I kinda get the feeling that it was written by a man who just found the situation funny, and that the whole 'girls like to date jerks, nice guys get left behind' thing is a lot less prevalent in reality than it is in pop culture. Like I said, I don't think I know anyone who liked dating jerks; at most, guys who seemed alright turned out to be jerks, at which point the relationship ended. I'm sure such girls are out there, just not nearly as many of them.

Yael said...

Speaking of jitterbugs, though, I actually have this awesome thing I should send you from an old comic book I saw at a used book store. I'll get to that.

Adam Barnett said...

You're right Dave. It was JERRY the Jitterbug. Silly me!

And Yael, I was totally taking those panels out of context. Jerry had meant to bring her flowers or candy or something, and was asked to take out the garbage by his mother. Well, Jerry had jitterbugging or something on his mind, so he accidentally threw away the real gift and gave his date the bag of garbage by mistake. The hilarity nearly exploded off the page.

In any respect, I was taking *ahem* creative liberties with the source material. Hey, if they can make a Walking Tall movie that had nothing to do with Bufford Pusser or a Cheaper by the Dozen movie that had nothing to do with the Gilbreth family, I can lop off some comic panels here and there.

Thanks for the material! I'll be running it tomorrow! :-)

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

And it should be kept in mind that these strips were written by middle-aged men and the comics were read by primarily boys. If I looked hard enough, I'd bet I could find a Casey the Cop or Super-Turtle strip that found a way to insult in some way.

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but Elmer and Jerry strips were all a half-page in length tops. They weren't like Binky and Scooter a few years later, they had a revolving door of mishaps with girls.