Wednesday, March 13, 2013

There's More Than ONE Orifice Wherein a Tootsie Roll Will Fit!

I was taking a break from Amazing Spider-Man and leafed through All-Flash Quarterly #17.  And, as is often the case, the ads were more interesting to me than the stories themselves.

Hey, Bill!  How's your evening going?


Oh.  Sorry I asked.

This was at the bottom of a text-only story and I found it interesting for historical reasons:


In the interests of being thorough, I checked out the American Bible Society.  It wasn't that difficult, considering they have their own web site.  It's not like I'm the paragon of investigative journalism here. But anyway, their "about us" page says: The mission of American Bible Society is to make the Bible available to every person in a language and format each can understand and afford, so all people may experience its life-changing message.

Regardless of one's spiritual affiliation, this is interesting from a cultural perspective.  There is no indication that the ABS paid for an ad here, so did DC put it in as a public service?  Would they do so these days?  If it wasn't a PSA, would the ABS take out such an ad in comics today?  In either case, the answer would probably be "no way would we see something like this in a comic today."

Hootin' Zoots!  It's Captain Tootsie!


So, let me get this straight: Basically, Tootsie Rolls are like oxygen for Captain Tootsie.


Thanks, pals!  Although there was another way to get a Tootsie Roll in me that I've always been curious to try...

Boy, Tootsie Rolls got away with murder back in the day, didn't they?  Try and claim your chocolatey treat has health benefits these days, and it could end up costing you 3.05 million bucks.

I also saw an ad for an "Amazing New Game Sensation" called Let's Go to College, guaranteed to "panic a party," whatever that means.

So, I did a little digging (again, meaning I used the Google) and saw that this game came from the same dude who brought us Electric Baseball.  It looked like this:


This site (from whence I got the pic) filled in a few details, but I'm still not sure why it was "A COAST TO COAST CRAZE!"  But the ad assured me that it was, and I have no evidence to the contrary.  Sure, I have my doubts, but not so much that anyone should pay me $3.05 million bucks.

See you tomorrow!


1 comment:

James Robert Smith said...

Damn. I actually like those graphics on the game box. Gee whiz, that's nifty!