Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Is It Too Late to Give this Feature Its Own Title and Call it "The Good Fairy That Watches Over Our Orphanage"? Because I Would Totally Buy That Comic!


I've gotten some flack over the years for not doing much on modern comics.  That's fair, I suppose, but there are reasons for that: (a) When modern comics go bad, it's generally much more sad than it is funny and (b) Half the time, I'm not sure if they aren't being all Hipster Ironic on me.

For example, this panel from Gotham City Sirens #3:


Normally, "leap" as a sound effect would have landed you in CMNS Sound Effect Theatre (tm!).  But surely someone recognized that "leap" is a verb... or it could be a gerund.  But it isn't a sound unless someone says "Leap!" as they leap, and I don't think that's the case here.  It's hard for me to imagine that an editor in this day and age would let that just pass, so I don't want to be the guy that isn't in on the joke.

No, give me a dandy like this one from Superman Family #167, courtesy of contributor Robert Gillis!:


YEAH!  Mermaids using telepathy and apparently omniscient closed-circuit television!  THAT'S what we're all about here at CMNS!

And it's time for a new meme!  Woot!

Coming at us first from Superman Family #169, also courtesy of contributor Robert Gillis, I like to call this one:  Well, now you're just showing off! (tm!)

We're going to use this one whenever a super-powered being uses superpowers in a gratuitous and unnecessary fashion.  Thusly:



Yeah, this is why everyone was sent here from Krypton... to keep kites in the air and repair sidewalks.

Well, now you're just showing off! (tm!)

See how that works?

See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

MarvelX42 said...

Wait, there was a "Fantastic Four" in Kandor?

Smurfswacker said...

I think that sound effect was a symptom of MangaMania. In Japanese comics many sound effects translate into a description of the action like "rain rain rain" and such. It loses a lot when adapted to English language comics.