Monday, April 14, 2014

Awaken, Superman!

Starting off the week with another first (I think)!  It's not often I find Fun with Out of Context Dialogue (tm!) in ads, but here it is as we look at Action Comics #268!


I admit... those are novel choices, but I've already got "too fat" and "poor at sports" in my inventory, if you know what I mean.  If there was a category called "should be ashamed of your body but not so much that you're willing to lay off the Pringles," I'd have that covered as well.  Still, I give them credit for not making inflated promises.

Anyway, you may recall that Superman had run into Hercules, and everything was going pretty well until a woman entered the picture (ain't that always the way?).  Which gave rise to this great piece of dialogue: 


I'm going to work, "Is that clear, Hercules?" into my daily conversations.

Hey!  Random Slap! (tm!)


I've got to say that the conflict was kind of a let-down.  They didn't really fight each other directly, opting instead to try and outdo each other with super stunts.  Which, considering the 12 labors of Hercules of myth, could have been a homage to that, but I don't think anyone was thinking that hard about it.

I'll put it this way: The final strike involved Hercules playing a flute and Superman falling asleep (like most of the readers at this point):


It's not just love.  It's SUPER-love!  Because anything to do with Superman is SUPER-whatever.  Insert your own "what happens in the toilet at the Fortress of Solitude" joke here.

Hey!  It's SUPER-Women's Intuition!


And before you ask... they put the thought balloon on the wrong girl.  That's Supergirl on the left in her civilian ID and an imposter on the right.  I guess the imposter fooled the letterer, which is kind of funny in it's own way.

See you tomorrow!

4 comments:

MarvelX42 said...

Isn't Supergirls hair supposed to be blonde?

Adam Barnett said...

That's what I said, Marv. The girl they put the thought balloon on was a Supergirl *IMPOSTER* DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN! Supergirl is actually in her civilian ID over on the left.

MarvelX42 said...

Well, what I am saying is, how good a disguise is it if the girl who is disguised as Supergirl doesn't even have the correct hair color?

Adam Barnett said...

This was post-"jig is up." Up until then, she was wearing a wig. And, as a historical note, this was prior to Supergirl making herself known to the world. So, by an AMAZING coincidence, they happened to come up with the same outfit Supergirl actually wears for their fakes!