Monday, February 29, 2016

High-Pockets... You're the Greatest! Would You Like to Buy a Monkey?


So, let's take a look at Tales to Astonish #61, which featured the first appearance of this thing Giant-Man and the Wasp used to get around:


This is called "The Converti-Car," which is a name every bit as sad as the vehicle itself.

Let's take a look at it from another angle:


That is just awful.  It really is.  The funny thing is, after stepping out of something that ridiculous and out-of-place....


... Hank and Jan think disguises are going to work.

Oh, and here's an ad where you can order a pet monkey in the mail: 


Less than 20 bucks?  Hmmm, you had me until you were talking "collar and leash."  If I have to use a collar and a leash on a monkey, I would find myself constantly questioning my life's choices up to this point.

Anyway, we get to the Hulk story, where we are introduced to Glen Talbot, who would be Bruce Banner's romantic rival for the nerd-chasing Betty Ross:


Glen Talbot: Not enough "o's" in smooth to describe his game.

And then there was this:


Hey, kids!  Come get your own replica of the Iron Cross!


So, we have confirmed that the Hulk getting excited indeed will turn him back to Bruce Banner.  Shouldn't that be a never-ending cycle?

Trouble has me all stressed out!  I'm changing into the Hulk!

Fighting this trouble is getting my heart racing!  I'm changing back to Banner!

Oh, crap!  I'm Bruce Banner and the Hulk accomplished nothing!  I'm changing again!

And so on and so forth.

Finally, there was this:


I would love to actually have seen a Mason shoe salesman try to sell Beloved shoes with that rig! But more to the point, the salesman seriously creeps me out.


GAAAAAAH!

See you tomorrow!



3 comments:

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

I remember seeing a lot of Mason Shoe ads back in the day. And yet I've never seen a single copy of GRIT.

Adam Barnett said...

I saw a kid selling Grit *once.* Once. He was standing outside a Safeway grocery store. They weren't exactly flying out of his bag.

Smurfswacker said...

I saw a copy of GRIT in the mid-sixties. It was lying amongst the old magazines at the barber shop. I skimmed through it, but all I remember is that it carried several Old Wheeze comic strips like Mutt & Jeff.